Leigh Extence | 01395 268723 | 07967 802160 | leigh@extence.co.uk

James Mackie, Cheapside - A Small Rosewood Library Clock

A small rosewood library clock; the eight-day duration, single fusee movement has an anchor escapement with the square  silvered dial engraved with the name J. Mackie, 2 Old Jewry, Cheapside and has engraved black Roman hour numerals,  blued steel spade hands, with engraved floral and rococo decoration to the four corners. The rosewood ‘four-glass’ case  has a shaped serpentine moulding to the base, bevelled glass to the sides and top and adjustable cast brass feet.   Height: 9½ inches (24 cms) Please click on images to enlarge: Any additional images are shown below

James Mackie

James Mackie was the son of the clockmaker George Mackie who is known to have been working from before 1796 until at  least 1811 at Helmet Row just off the City Road and with whom James worked for a period, presumably as his apprentice.  James is recorded as working alone at Whitecross Street from 1799 until 1824 whilst also having an address around the  corner in Banner Street, before obviously moving to Old Jewry. It would seem that although George and James worked  independently of each other, they were also working in partnership, as they are known to have made a number of clocks &  chronometers which were signed George Mackie & Son with the address also recorded as Helmut Row.

Price: Sold

Ref: 1378

Additional Images

Leigh Extence Fine Antique Clocks Home Clocks for Sale Valuations News Catalogues About Leigh Extence Contact
Leigh Extence | 01395 268723 | 07967 802160 | email: leigh@extence.co.uk
Leigh Extence Fine Antique Clocks Home Clocks for Sale Valuations News Catalogues About Leigh Extence Contact

James Mackie, Cheapside- A Small Rosewood Library Clock

A small rosewood library clock; the eight-day duration, single fusee movement has an  anchor escapement with the square silvered dial engraved with the name J. Mackie, 2 Old Jewry, Cheapside and has engraved black Roman hour numerals, blued steel spade hands, with engraved floral and rococo decoration to the four corners. The rosewood ‘four-glass’  case has a shaped serpentine moulding to the base, bevelled glass to the sides and top and adjustable cast brass feet. Height: 9½ inches (24 cms) Please click on images to enlarge: Any additional images are shown below

James Mackie

James Mackie was the son of the clockmaker George Mackie who is known to have been  working from before 1796 until at least 1811 at Helmet Row just off the City Road and with whom James worked for a period, presumably as his apprentice. James is recorded as  working alone at Whitecross Street from 1799 until 1824 whilst also having an address  around the corner in Banner Street, before obviously moving to Old Jewry. It would seem  that although George and James worked independently of each other, they were also  working in partnership, as they are known to have made a number of clocks &  chronometers which were signed George Mackie & Son with the address also recorded as Helmut Row.

Price: Sold

Ref: 1378

Additional Images